The best — and safest — hikes start before you reach the trailhead. Like cooking a delicious meal, going on a delightful hike requires some advanced preparation. Taking a little time to scout out the area and map out a route can save you far more time and stress once you actually head out the door.
Gaia GPS offers powerful planning tools to help you make that game plan. Find and create your hike at home. Download your maps onto your phone. Then navigate to the trailhead and follow your route with ease, even if you go out of cell service.
In this tutorial, Gaia GPS expert Ryan walks through how to plan a hike at home using gaiagps.com. You’ll learn how to:
- Search and maneuver around the map to find the location you’re looking for.
- Add waypoints to flag your starting location, finish, and key stops on the way.
- Use Gaia GPS’s snap-to-trail planning tool to quickly and accurately map out the route.
- Scout out the area using additional map layers.
- View the map in 3D to get a better sense of the terrain.
- Check out the elevation profile so you know what to expect on your hike.
Before you head out for your hike, check out more tips for planning your trip, including how to choose your destination, what to pack, and the hazards you might encounter along the way. For more tutorials on using the Gaia GPS app, visit the Help Center.
To access the entire Gaia GPS map collection, download your maps for offline use, and save your routes, get a Gaia GPS Premium Membership.