We sent Gaia GPS 3.0 to the App Store last Friday, and we hope to see it live any day now. 3.0 is an almost complete overhaul of Gaia GPS. For a little preview, you can see some pictures that we prepared for the user manual online now.
Anna and I have also been using our backpacking vacation in Hawaii to do some comprehensive tests on the app, and you can see a long track we took of a trip from Waipio to Waimanu.
Gaia GPS users will notice a totally new look and feel to the app, as well as a bunch of new features:
- live altitude and speed graphs
- customizable stat overlays on the map (overlay your choice of stats and graphs)
- an overall trip computer for long term stats
- retractable map controls, and a full-screen landscape map view
- sunrise/sunset times
- a horizontal compass on the map that can be hidden with a touch
- fast, native graphics, skinnable to any colors you’d like
- now in Chinese, Portuguese, and Swedish, with Spanish and German coming in 3.1
So, there are a lot of improvements in Gaia GPS 3.0, and we hope all of the people who use the app enjoy it as much as we do! We have been steadily working on Gaia GPS since last summer, making incremental improvements, but for 3.0 we decided to overhaul the whole thing. We think you will find the app is now reliable, fun-to-use, and customizable for whatever activity you are mapping or tracking. I hope it helps many people on an adventure or two this summer.