Last week, we did some work on the NRCan Canada vector topo map source, to make it fast and reliable.
Before, we were just “proxying” requests to a feed Canada provides, to turn their map data into the kind of data Gaia GPS likes, but this could be slow. Now, we made a cache on our own server, and Canadian users report things are snappy.
All in all, Gaia GPS has several excellent map sources for Canada. These include:
- the imprecisely named US Topo source actually includes NRCan classic topo maps, north of the border
- you can also use the NRCan vector topo maps, which is the source we just improved
- there are three styles of OpenStreetMap topo – OpenHikingMap, OpenCycleMap, and OpenLandscapeMap
- MapQuest downloadable satellite imagery of Canada too
- and finally, MapBox satellite of Canada with a GaiaPro subscription
As far as Canada goes, Gaia GPS has about as complete a set of open data as can be assembled.